Monday, September 25, 2006

The unique Blogger Post ID for this post is: 115920294267547137

Citizens For Tax Fairness:BOUNTIFUL - MAKING CHURCHES & SCHOOLS PAY


It has been a while since citizensfortaxfairness.org has been updated, but I have been checking it religiously for information since January. Today, I noticed that a much neglected topic of power rate hikes were being addressed. Ron Mortenson had mentioned this to me months ago as a topic on which I might blog and, to be frank, I couldn't dig up enough dirt myself to justify a post. (However, the dirt was there.) Fortunately, I've been saved the trouble of having to do some detective work of my own. Shame on me for not trying hard enough.

Wrap your mind around this concept. Other tax policy organizations have addressed the problems inherent in hiding a tax via clever bookkeeping practices. Bountiful is doing just that. By moving money from the Power fund into the General fund, on a regular basis, they create a shortfall of funds needed to generate and maintain power within the city. As a result, a need is, artificially, created for more money to be put into the Power fund. Power rates get increased, and a hidden tax is born. This money in the General fund,(this is sometimes called laundering), goes to other unrelated projects.

Who gets hurt by this practice? Broad answer: Anyone that stands to lose from an unaccountable government. In short: Everyone.

Citizens For Tax Fairness:BOUNTIFUL - MAKING CHURCHES & SCHOOLS PAY

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.